Posts for tag: foot care
Foot care is something that is important to your overall well-being and is something that is often overlooked. There are some basic guidelines you can follow in order to keep your feet healthy and feeling good.
1. Don’t ignore unusual pain. If you are feeling a constant pain in your feet, it’s important to call your podiatrist immediately. They can help identify any pain and develop a treatment plan to make sure that your feet are healthy.
2. Inspect your feet regularly. It’s easy to ignore irregularities around your feet, which is why it’s important to keep an eye on them. It’s important to be sure that there aren’t any drastic changes in color or temperature, and to make sure that your toenails aren’t too thick or discolored. Also be sure to pay attention to cracks or cuts in the skin, and to make sure that there aren’t any growths on your feet.
3. Keep proper foot hygiene. It’s important to wash your feet regularly, even between the toes, and make sure that the foot is totally dry. It’s also important to regularly trim toenails. Be careful to only trim nails straight across and not on the sides or corners to avoid ingrown toenails. If you are a person with diabetes, poor circulation, or heart problems, be sure to go to your podiatrist when trimming toenails in order to avoid infection.
4. Get proper fitting shoes. When purchasing shoes, try to go later in the day when your feet are at their largest and make sure to replace worn out shoes. Make sure that the shoes you pick are the correct shoe for whatever activities you are engaging in. Also, it’s important to not wear the same pair of shoes or socks multiple days in a row.
5. Avoid walking barefoot. When walking around barefoot, your feet are more prone to injury.
6. Don’t forget your feet! When wearing sandals, it’s very important to apply sunscreen to your feet as well as the rest of your body!
Following these guidelines will help keep your feet happy and healthy, and in turn help your overall well-being!
Prevent foot problems from happening to you in Stafford and Lake Ridge by following these simple rules of foot care.
Without your feet you wouldn’t be able to get around easily or do a lot of the activities you love, and yet you wouldn’t believe how many people abuse their feet or just don’t know how to care for them. Our Lake Ridge and Stafford, VA, podiatrists are here to provide the basics for how to keep your feet healthy and happy.
Sport the Proper Footwear
We know it’s easier said than done but if you want to protect your feet from corns, ingrown toenails, hammertoes and bunions then you’ll want to take a good hard look at the kind of shoes you are wearing. Make sure you wear shoes that offer your feet enough room to move. Avoid shoes that have high heels or don’t offer enough cushioning and support. Always choose the proper footwear based on your activities.
Walking Can Actually be Good
It might seem that moving around may just put unwanted stress on your feet but your feet are made up of muscles that need to be worked out and used in order to stay healthy and strong. By walking each and every day you can help to build strong muscles in your feet and to keep ligaments and tendons flexible, which can reduce your chances of injury, sore arches, etc.
Keep Feet Clean
Sure, this should be a no-brainer but you wouldn’t believe how many people forget to wash their feet when they step into the shower. Washing your feet is important for removing bacteria and fungus. Think about how often your feet are trapped inside shoes and socks. Feet can also sweat, which can leave you prone to fungal infections. By thoroughly washing your feet with soap and water every day, you can prevent issues from happening to you.
Lather on Moisturizer
Harsh winter weather can cause some nasty dry feet but exposing feet to warmer climates can also strip skin of moisture. To combat this you should apply a moisturizer every day, particularly right after you get out of the show. This will help to seal in moisture to prevent scaling and painful cracking.
Associated Foot & Ankle Centers of Northern Virginia in Stafford and Lake Ridge, VA, is dedicated to providing thorough, comprehensive foot care to people of all ages. Call us today to schedule your next appointment.