Treatment Options for Hammertoes
Have you been diagnosed with hammertoes or noticed issues with your feet that may indicate a hammertoe? If so, your Lake Ridge and Stafford Foot and Ankle Center podiatrists are here to help. Find out the most common treatments available for those with hammertoes and why you should seek treatment.
There are some home self-help ways to help alleviate any pain or other issues you are experiencing as a result. These include:
- Wearing shoes that give your toes a little more room to move and don’t have heels higher than 2 inches.
- Wearing the proper shoes depending on the type of activity you are doing.
- Using non-medicated hammertoe pads and placing them on the joint to help reduce pressure.
- Icing the painful joint to reduce swelling. Ice for no more than 15 minutes at a time a couple times a day.
There are several actual treatment options you can consider or use in conjunction with one another depending on the severity of your issue, such as:
- Use over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen) to reduce pain and swelling. If the pain is severe or persistent we may also recommend steroid injections to target more acute forms of pain.
- Wear custom-made orthotics (shoe inserts), which can be placed into your shoes to provide more support and stability for susceptible areas of the foot. This can also reduce pain.
- We can also show you a series of stretching and strengthening exercises for you to perform every day to improve hammertoe-related symptoms. We may also recommend splinting the toe if the issue is caught in the earlier stages where the joint may be properly realigned through splinting.
If none of these more conservative options work, you may need to consider surgical correction. There are many surgical options for treating hammertoes, and if your condition has gotten so bad that pain and other symptoms are affecting your quality of life, then it’s time we talked about these surgery treatment options with you.
Don’t let hammertoes or other foot problems affect your daily life or cause you pain. Turn to the Lake Ridge and Stafford Foot & Ankle Centers today and let’s get your hammertoe ailment corrected so you can then function pain free. Hammertoe correction is performed as an outpatient surgery at a local hospital or surgery center. Techniques utilizing surgical screws and pins have shortened healing time and improved surgical results tremendously. Just ask one of our foot & ankle board certified surgeons today about the benefits and risks of hammertoe surgical repair. Call Today!